Monday, January 10, 2011

Make It Monday

No matter my mood, I am always up for eating tacos. I would say that they are my favorite thing to eat. I found htis recipe in a Kraft magazine, and we eat it all of the time. It's just a little mix-up of a regular taco. I don't put in the cilantro, but if you like it, I'm sure it would be great.


Taco Salad Bowls
prep time 20 min
total time 20 min
makes 4 servings, 1/4 recipe (270 g) each
 
What You Need
4 whole wheat flour tortillas (9 inch)
1 Tbsp. chili powder, divided
3/4 lb. (340 g) extra lean ground beef
1 cup match-like carrot sticks
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. salsa, divided
2 Tbsp. Miracle Whip Calorie-Wise Dressing
4 cups torn salad greens
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 cup Kraft Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Crumple four large sheets of foil to make four 3-inch balls; place on baking sheet. Place 1 tortilla on top of each ball; spray tortilla with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 tsp. of the chili powder. Bake 6 to 8 min. or until tortillas are golden brown. (Tortillas will drape over balls as they bake.)

MEANWHILE, brown meat with carrots and remaining 2-1/2 tsp. chili powder in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup of the salsa; cook 2 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

MIX dressing and remaining 2 Tbsp. salsa in large bowl. Add salad greens and tomatoes; toss to coat. Spoon into tortilla shells; top with meat mixture, cheese and cilantro.

nutritional information
serving size = 1/4 recipe (270 g)per serving
Calories 350 Total fat 13 g Saturated fat 6 g Cholesterol 65 mg Sodium 770 mg Carbohydrate 39 g Dietary fibre 6 g Sugars 6 g Protein 28 g Vitamin A 70 %DV Vitamin C 25 %DV Calcium 15 %DV Iron 25 %DV

1 comment:

  1. I also have a bit of a taco addiction. They are so simple, cheap and tasty, not to mention versatile. I quite often mix up the filler like a salad in a big bowl and let everyone choose whether they want to eat a salad or put it into a taco shell. I like to use lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, canned corn niblets and black beans. Tortilla chips on the table for those wanting salad, and sour cream and salsa. I also tend to fry the mushrooms/onions/peppers with the hamburger in a bit of an effort to "hide" them from certain kids who don't like them raw. Yum yum. I think I know what we're having for supper tonight! I was glad for the tip to bake the shells over tinfoil balls. Never thought of that. Thanks Em!

    ReplyDelete