Monday, January 17, 2011

Make-It Monday

Southwestern Chicken Skillet

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. oil
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes(1 lb./500 g)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas and corn)
1 cup salsa - I use a whole medium jar because I found it a little dry
1 1/2 cups instant white rice, uncooked
1/4 cup Cheese
Sour Cream *optional

Directions


HEAT oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook.  Remove chicken from skillet, reserving drippings in skillet; cover chicken to keep warm.
ADD water, vegetables and salsa to drippings in skillet; stir. Bring to boil.
STIR in rice. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 5 min. Top with the chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; cook 5 min. or until cheese is melted.

*I use my rice cooker and cook the rice before hand. I don't have any instant rice. So, if you are like me, cook the rice and then just stir it in when everything else is done.

*We like to eat ours with sour cream on top.

1 comment: